Background

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Welcome Home Maria

One Sunday back in February we went to church and some people got up in priesthood and announced that there was a foreign exchange student from Germany that needed to switch host families and they were looking for someone who would take her in temporarily, or for the rest of the school year due to some problems with the family she was currently with. Dan came home and told me about it and I felt so bad that this poor girl was here and not enjoying her time so after a while of talking we decided to allow her to come live with us. We called the Bishop and told him we would take her. He said she was staying at the Relief Society Presidents house and to go talk to her. We set up a meeting with the RS President and the Representative of the program and had many questions and forms to fill out. A few days went by and the Rep called us and said that the student was just going to stay the remainder of her time with the RS President and her family but she said that she had 22 students that needed a family to host them for the coming year. After many, many discussions (mostly because we have never done anything like this before and I was really scared) we agreed to host a student for the entire school year.

We received a profile of a student from Mexico that just sounded darling. Her name is Maria and she was so much like our family with the things she liked and disliked. I had a feeling that for some reason she was the one that was suppose to come stay with us. I have all boys, so getting an entire room ready and decorated for a TEENAGE GIRL was quite the task. I guess I'm really out of the girl loop. Good thing I have Stacey living close by with lots of cute ideas. Her room turned out so dang cute and we were so excited to go pick her up at the airport.

We were all there waiting with our signs welcoming Maria to Utah. Taylee was really excited as well because Maria is the same age and will be going to the same school so it was like getting an instant friend. Even Taylees best friend Hannah was there and waiting excitedly.

We picked her up and all went out to eat together before heading home. Our cute neighbors helped decorate the outside of our house to welcome Maria. I'm sure it has been an overwhelming experience for her so far with a new school, new language, family, house, friends, siblings and many more but despite all the unfamiliarity we have had a lot of fun with her. We have taken her to Lagoon, gone boating, cooked together, had food fights in the house with her, gone on long walks, stayed up late watching movies, talking, laughing and more. It has been totally different then I thought it was going to be but for the better. She is like our daughter and we just love her. My boys love having her here and she is so cute with them. Jase gets so excited when she comes home from school. He spends a lot of time hanging out with her or up with her in her room tearing it apart and loving every minute.

She is so darling as is her family. We have skyped with them many times before she came and we just adore them as well. I'm hoping that we will one day be able to go visit them after school ends. I guess I really need to work on my Spanish skills. Four years in Spanish class really was not enough I guess because every time I try to say something and am all proud of myself, Maria just looks at me and starts laughing while shaking her head. Mmmmm, guess I'm not so good after all.




She has only been with us a short time but I know I will be very sad by the time she has to go home. I'm excited we still have many more Holidays and experiences with her before that time comes.





2 comments: