Background

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Vacation to Washington DC

Just before Kami moved home from living in DC for a year, we thought this would be the perfect time to go stay with her and see many things and places that I have always wanted to. Dans mom and my mom were so sweet to take turns and stay with our boys so we could spend a week seeing and enjoying time with each other. After our 10 HOUR flight - (because we are cheap and opted for 2 stops but a smaller price) we arrived at Kamis and were so excited to be there.

We spent a week there while the cherry blossom festival was going on and saw so many awesome things. Many things we couldn't take pictures of because of how old the article or document was like the flag that inspired the star spangled banner, the Declaration of Independence and the bill of rights. We were able to go to Fords Theatre and see where Lincoln was shot, see the hat he was wearing at the time and view the building he was taken to across the street. We went to Mt Vernon and saw George Washington's grave and of coarse could not miss Arlington cemetery and the changing of the guards at the tomb of the unknown soldier or the Holocaust Museum which was a very neat and humbling experience. We went to the Pentagon and saw the memorial for the victims of 9/11. It was so sad and touching at the same time as we reflected on all the lives that were lost that day.


We saw the White House but... apparently got too close while something was going on on the front lawn because we ended up getting personally escorted away from the building....oops.

I guess I watch too many movies because I was scared to death to ride the metro in fear we were going to be mugged like the subways in NY. Dan and I were sitting down when about 15 huge guys all came on at the same time and I grabbed onto Dan and thought "here we go." Dan started laughing knowing I was freaked and said "Gina, look at the matching shirts. They are the high schools rugby team." -- ha ha.

It was cold and rained almost everyday we were there but we still had the best time and it was the funnest vacation ever but we missed our boys so much. It's funny that we were so excited to get away and then when we did finally get away that we didn't talk about anything but the boys and how much funner it would be if they were with us.







1 comment:

  1. sounds like a great trip! Matt and I are planning on going out there this coming Spring, I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete