Background

Monday, November 15, 2010

THE CUBE


Do you remember the Rubix cube? I totally remember playing with these when I was young. I don't however remember them being so frustrating. I was watching the movie "The Pursuit of Happiness" a little while ago and in it the father tries to figure one out. I love puzzles and decided it would be fun to get one and see if I could solve it. --BAD IDEA!
So for anyone that has never played with one, the object is to get all the colors lined up on each side. I first thought there was no rhyme or reason to figuring it out and began twisting and turning to match up the colors but I found as soon as I would get a few matched up on one side it would mess up the opposite side. I watched a couple clips on You Tube with people solving them in 10 sec and less. Even a three yr old is on there solving it in under 2 min. I am a pretty stubborn person when I want to be and soon became determined as ever I was going to figure this out. I thought if a three year old can then definitely so can I.
Every spare moment I had I was working to solve it. It totally started to consume me. I found myself staying up past midnight working on it, taking it with me every where I went and when Dan and I sat down to watch a movie, I would miss the whole thing because I was working on it and not paying any attention to the show. My mom came down to stay at Stacey's and we went over to see her. Of coarse I brought it with me and within a few hours my mom told Dan to take it from me because it was driving her crazy.
I would search the Internet for ways and tips to help me. --- TOTALLY OBSESSED I KNOW,
but for anyone who knows me well knows that when I get determined and set my mind on something I do not quit or slow down until I have completed it or reached my goal, I guess that's the stubborn part in me.
After a week or two of trying this on my own I finally found yet again on You Tube people showing you how to solve it. I would follow and do their exact moves and would still get messed up. I have never wanted to throw something out the window so bad in my life. I think I did end up getting frustrated and chucking it across my living room while Dan laughed at me. Well, it definitely wasn't under 10 sec and the three year old kicked my trash but I'm happy to say my record is about three weeks. The picture at the top is right after I solved it and I have never been so happy and relived at the same time. I now know that there is a pattern, a sequence and strategy to it and you can't just twist and turn in hopes you will figure it out. I also have learned to never pick one up again or it will be back to You Tube and another few weeks. But I can say I reached my goal and now it's on to something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment